THE TENNIS BALL PARK
A story of growing up poor but having lots of fun anyway.
- •When I was younger we would go to the tennis park.
- •Not to play tennis.That was for yuppie kids who owned rackets.
- •No. We were the Herdman-like kids who would crawl around in the bushes to find all the lost tennis balls.
- •We'd dig in trash cans, stand on each other's shoulders to look in the gutters of the tennis center building, and brave the spiky leaves of the bushes to find our treasures.
- •One really good day we filled three grocery bags to the brim!
- •I should have mentioned, this was my dad's idea. He would take all four of us kids while mom would have a relaxing hour or so to herself.Kidding. That never happened. She was getting groceries.
- •After finding such a great haul we went home and hatched a plan.
- •We'd wait in the back yard and when mom got home we'd launch all of the tennis balls over the house!
- •She pulled up, got her arms full of groceries and started walking towards the house.
- •We let her have it! 🎾🎾🎾🎾🎾🎾🎾🎾🎾🎾🎾🎾🎾🎾🎾🎾🎾🎾🎾🎾🎾🎾🎾🎾🎾🎾🎾🎾🎾🎾🎾🎾
- •We lived in a little shotgun house where you could see through the back and front doors perfectly.
- •I remember her hunching over and screaming her head off but (thankfully) laughing hysterically.
- •It's one of my favorite childhood memories.