COMMONLY USED MILITARY LINGO, DEFINED
Some of my faves. This list could have hundreds of items if I just kept going...
- •BCGsShort for birth control glasses, issued at basic training. Purposefully made to be hideous. Part of the whole "break you down and then build you up" strategy.
- •GatYour issued weapon. As in, "grab your gats, ladies!"
- •Latrine or headThe toilet. "Why are you dancing around, PRIVATE?! YOU GOT ANTS IN YOUR PANTS?" "NO, DRILL SERGEANT! I GOTTA PEE!" "Well then get your ass to the latrine!"
- •Charlie FoxtrotNATO alphabet for CF, short for "clusterfuck." As in, "40 guys just rolled into my aid station with trench foot. It was a trench foot MASCAL. What a Charlie Foxtrot."
- •MASCALMass casualty. Exactly what it sounds like.. The troops all come down with massive diarrhea and are useless for a week because of food positioning from the DFAC. Or, an IED blast goes off and you have a real MASCAL.
- •DFACShort for dining facility. Also known as the chow hall or mess hall. The inspiration for many running cadences... "They say that in the Army, the chow is mighty fine.. The coffee looks like muddy water, and tastes like turpentine."
- •Ate upFucked up. "Your uniform is all ate up like a soup sandwich, your hair is out of regulation, you can't PT worth a damn.. What is your major malfunction, Private?!"
- •PTPhysical training, aka mandatory group workouts. Starts at 0500 sharp. Part of the reason Soldiers brag to each other that they do more before 0900 than most people do in a day.
- •FUBARFucked up beyond any/all recognition/repair. Kind of a dated, Vietnam-era term. "The commander made us crawl in the mud all day today. My uniform is FUBAR."
- •Check your sixDon't forget to look behind you. Stems from the idea of making sure you don't get shot from behind. Now, used somewhat colloquially to make sure you have your shit together.
- •ShitstormRelated to Murphy's law. Anything that can go wrong, will.