Dear people of the south who keep staring at me with my white husband
We are visiting my family in Texas and my in-laws in Kentucky. I'm a damn Yankee who grew up in a racially diverse place and haven't experienced this so overtly before. To top it off, I just moved away from Hawaii, where interracial marriage is the norm, so I'm having a little "culture shock."
- •Is the constant staring at me with a scowl on your face:
- •A geographical cultural difference?
- •Because your mama never taught you it's rude to stare?
- •Because your mama never told you to not make that face or else it would get stuck like that?
- •Because you've never seen a brown person before?
- •Because you're mad my husband sold out?
- •Because you're racist?
- •Or something else I am missing completely?
- •A confused brown person
- •Who was taught it's rude to stare
- •And make faces