HOW TO NOT GET FOOD POISONING AT YOUR THANKSGIVING POTLUCK
This was a hard lesson learned for me at my workplace's Christmas potluck in 2013 (let's just say I lost 12 lbs in ONE day AND missed Wicked, which I had front row seats for). All of the foods below tend to harbor higher amounts of bacteria and bacteria-produced-toxins and should be avoided.
- •Fried riceYeah, it's normal Thanksgiving food in Hawaii.
- •Potato saladIt's the mayo
- •Macaroni saladAlso a Hawaii tradition.. Again the mayo
- •Basically avoid anything with mayo that's been sitting outMayo is gross anyway
- •Things that were canned at homeA potential for botulism which can be deadly
- •Unrefrigerated Caesar dressingOften contains egg and anchovy
- •Undercooked turkeyTurkey should be cooked to an internal temp of 165 degrees F at the meatiest part (most often the leg).
- •Anything that's been sitting out for over 2 hours is higher risk
- •When in doubt, throw it out.You'll never go wrong if you stick to this.
- •Wash cutting boards and knives between meats/poultry and other stuff.
- •Oh and don't forget to practice good hand hygiene at all times.