THINGS YOU WORRY ABOUT WHEN YOU'RE AN AMERICAN MUSLIM
This isn't for sympathy... I just realized these things as I went 30mph in a 25mph zone for a few seconds while at the airport this week and got sightly panicky about it.
- •Driving too fast through the airport thru lane and being mistaken for a terroristMust go the speed limit or below
- •Standing in line at security anywhere
- •Being in the military and being perceived as an outsider or a threat
- •Being treated as if you aren't American, or patriotic, or vested in your country's safetyOne of the many reasons why I joined the military after 9/11
- •Being randomly attacked or killed by bigoted psychopathsI've been assaulted twice
- •Being rejected for a job or apartment or anything because of your Muslim name or your appearance
- •Being ignored when it comes to pay raises or promotion time
- •Your place of worship repeatedly being vandalized and the cops doing jack shit about itAnd still not much when it finally gets burned down
- •Being rejected in a new community
- •Constant subjection to hate speech against people of your faith as everyday conversation and rarely anyone but you batting an eye or coming to your defense
- •Being unable to build a place of worship where you live because the bigots in town rally against itBeen there
- •Being incorrectly placed on a no fly list and being unable to get off of it for yearsHappened to one of my cousins, a CEO of a tech company. He had to budget four hours for security because of it happening literally every time he flew (multiple times a week) for several years
- •The FBI coming to your house to interrogate you in the middle of the night for no reasonI know too many people that this has happened to
- •I know there are more but these are the ones that immediately come to mind.