Already on li.st? Open in app.
Most of this list is fiction with 1 or 2 (maybe 3 😉) non fiction books thrown in 😍. But all of the books listed here are texts I've purchased for pleasure reading in 2017.
- •Untwined by Edwidge Danticat
- •"The Art of Death" by Edwidge Danticat
- •The Sun is Also A Star by Nicola Yoon
In Oct 2015 my financial advisor made me painfully aware of how many thousands of dollars I was spending on books. In an effort to curb my spending, I stopped buying books for the rest of 2015. The exercise was so successful that I [stupidly] decided to extend the exercise until the end of 2016. Now I'm drooling over the books on this list.
- •Here Comes the Sun by Nicole Dennis-Benn
- •Homegoing by Yaa Gyasi
- •I Almost Forgot About You by Terry McMillan
Post Beyonce's #Lemonade, I've received an unusual number of requests for books that provide reliable information on my spiritual practice (Lucumi, known to many as Santeria). I was initiated as a priest in 2012, and the books below have been super helpful (of course nothing will ever replace an elder!).
- •Santeria by Joseph Murphy
- •On the Orishas' Roads and Pathways: Oshun Deity of Femininity by Miguel W. Ramos
- •Obi Agban by Miguel W. Ramos
In an effort to prevent others from wasting tons of $$ I've compiled the list below. In short, these are (in my opinion), the best books on getting through graduate school, writing the dissertation, successfully navigating the job market and completing the tenure track. Good luck!
- •Getting What You Came For by Robert L. Peters
- •The Professor Is In by Karen Kelsky
- •From Dissertation to Book by William Germano
- •"The Queen of the Night" by Alexander Chee
- •"Big Machine" by Victor LaVelle
- •"Wench" by Dolen Perkins Valdez
These are the first ten books I want to read in 2016. All of them are either by authors of color or feature protagonists of color. The list features science fiction, magical realism & historical-fiction, my three favorite genres. Some of the books even manage to mix all three :). I am genuinely excited to get my reading year started! #blkgirlsread
- 1."Zone One" by Colson Whitehead
- 2."Redwood and Wildfire" by Andrea Hairston
- 3."The Devil in Silver" by Victor LaValle
An incomplete books of books I love featuring magical realism.
- •The Twelve Tribes of Hatti by Ayana Mathis
- •The Summer We All Got Free by Mia McKenzie
- •Balm by Dolen Perkins Valdez
A list I am developing on science fiction novels I love that are written by black authors.
- •"Who Fears Death" by Nnedi Okorafor
- •"The Book of Phoenix" by Nnedi Okorafor
- •"Lagoon" by Nnedi Okorafor