Things That Inevitably Happen When My Family Visits
I love them. They love me. They're trying to be helpful but we usually get annoyed with each other.
- •The TV is always onLike right now. My parents left for church an hour ago and I'm in my room and can hear some Sunday morning show I'd never watch.
- •I get guilted about not going to churchHalfway through my rant to my mom about how their church goings really put a damper on our Sunday morning plans (brunch and the farmer's market) my dad says to me "You're not coming to church with us" followed by a judgy grunt noise. Unnecessary.
- •Something important gets thrown awayThis time it was my ice cream. This was what happened when I confronted my dad about it... Me: I can't believe you threw away my ice cream. Dad: It was empty. Me: IT HAD 3 GOOD BITES LEFT THAT I WAS SAVING FOR A RAINY DAY! Dad (very sarcastically): Well I'm very sorry.
- •My adulting skills get insultedMainly this has to do with my cleaning skills...or lack there of. Like the 8 empty bottles of wine I had next to my trash can in a "recycling" pile that had really just become a staple of my apartment. My parents didn't need to address it they could have just quietly throw them out. Instead my mom decided to ask me if I was saving them for anything special and when I replied no they are in my recycling pile she laughed. Just rude.
- •The windows are always openThe weather where I live is currently uncharacteristically cold but all my dad knows is that I live in California so the weather does not matter and all the windows MUST be open. My apartment is so cold right now.
- •My laundry gets doneThis is actually pretty awesome and the best way to end this list because it's mainly been complaining and I really do love it when my family visits.