PRO TIPS: LIVING IN A BIG CITY - CHICAGO
I moved here in August, but here's what I've learned so far. Chicago listers, add your pro tips!
- •always wear headphonesit makes you look preoccupied when creepos tryna talk to you on the train; also, makes commuting more tolerable
- •make sure someone you love knows where you arethis might seem like a thing you do when you're in high school and your mama yell at you like "WHERE YOU GOIN?" "WITH WHO?!" but fr, someone should know where you are and your anticipated time to be home. people be crazy
- •it's ok to take a picture of something touristy or just plain radjust please don't stop in the middle of the sidewalk. do your business quickly (also a good bathroom motto)
- •go out and drank all over the city!don't stick to just one neighborhood. there's all types of people in all types of neighborhoods - don't restrict yourself to just one or two!
- •explore this placey'all, there are too many amazing things to be done and places to go for you to spend weekends drinking and/or watching Netflix. go to a museum, play in the park, check out the art scene in Bridgeport or Pilsen!
- •master the polite laughfor when a rando try to talk to you on the El and get you to sell her energy drink and be on her "team", politely chuckle at a joke then put your headphones back in (based on real events)
- •take public transitthis might just be me but it's a terrific way to get to know your city and the people that live in it
- •prepare for all seasons, they may even happen on the same day!tell me why it was cold af yesterday morning, then I had to take off my coat and cardigan because it was 70° after school
- •find your place of solaceliving in a big city with lots of people can be really overwhelming and really lonely - find the place that rejuvenates you (coffee shop, yoga studio, park, a baller used book shop)
- •Know your preferred route home when you take a cabOtherwise the cabbie may take the long way, the way they know has more traffic, etc. to make more money off youSuggested by @LeahG
- •If your in a cab and the driver says the credit card machine is "broken" you might be able to argue a free rideThe thing is once you say you don't have cash the cabbie will most likely be able to fix it.Suggested by @flynnmp