THE STORY OF MY PARENTS
originally a request about their apartment from li.st darling, @nathanveshecco, based on a photo on my snap story but their story is more exciting. for more Brazilian travels, follow me on snap: anapyper // 🇧🇷🇺🇸
- •my dad grew up in a little farm town in northern Illinois near my hometown.one traffic light, acres upon acres of fields and farms, a Native American school mascot, and homogenous population. typical small town stuff.
- •my mom grew up in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil.city of 12 million people, a culture unlike any other, diversity out the wazoo, and always awake. typical big city stuff.
- •dad became a Christian at 18, and did what any young, passionate Christian does and picked up and moved to LA to do a missionary program called YWAM (Youth With A Mission).
- •mom became a Christian at 17, when praying to pass a chemistry test. shy and kind, went on to pursue architecture at her local college.
- •dad led a group of missionaries down to Rio to minister to local brazilians.
- •they needed a translator.
- •mom had been studying English the majority of her life (she's trilingual - it's insane). she volunteered to translate for the Americans.
- •over the course of six weeks, they spent every day together.Rio is an incredibly bustling city. think, if NYC, Chicago, and LA all combined. crime is a lot more rampant, and a bunch of clueless, American gringos walking around are ripe for the robbing.
- •through their time together, they developed feelings for one another.
- •their first date was on the date of celebration of the anniversary of Rio.and my mom invited her friends to "happen to run into" them at the restaurant. she had never been on a date before and needed something to ease the tension of it all.
- •they got engaged six weeks after meeting. mom (19), dad (25)SIX WEEKS.
- •dad proposed with no ring while they walked down Ipanema beach at sunset.mom made him wait 3 DAYS before giving an answer.
- •they didn't even kiss until a year later on their wedding day. mom (20), dad (26)they literally have the self-control of saints. mom wanted me to do the same, and I failed her. sorry, mom.
- •they stayed in Rio de Janeiro for about 8 months after marrying, poor but living in an apartment rented to them by a wealthy friend who lived a block away from Ipanema Beach.
- •after this time, my dad's visa expired and due to various government corruptions, was unable to renew.
- •they moved to my hometown (Rockford, IL), where they remained. my mom had my brother at 21, me at 25, and learned to suffer through the winter.
- •27 years later. 💕despite growing up in wildly different places, language barriers, different cultural norms, family difficulties, two kids, having insanely opposite personalities, mom going back to school to finish her degree, and having to work for every dollar they had - still married, in love, and happier than ever.