Qualities I admire in others
But am hopelessly incapable of replicating
- •When people move into a new place, and within days have fully unpacked, redecorated and organised everything how they like itWho are you? Are you a human? Last time I moved house, it took us a year to unpack fully (admittedly we were totally broke so couldn't afford to buy furniture to unpack into) and, 3 years in, we're just finishing up decorating and organising... Give us till Christmas. This is a three-room flat you guys.
- •People who don't care what anyone else thinks.My husband is highly skilled in this department. His inner world is so much less stressful than mine. I do not understand how he does it. Maybe because he's French? Il s'en fout de ce que tu penses.
- •People who have routines, morning or otherwise.I try so hard. I feel like I'm supposed to have one, because isn't that what grownups do? (See previous item.) But about three days into a new routine something in me is like "Erm. Why are we doing this? I WILL NOT BE TIED DOWN."
- •Think of new kinds of food to eat.I like to cook. I have a variety of recipes up my sleeve and I improvise well. But when it comes time to decide what's for dinner, all creative powers evaporate instantly. I have been eating variations on the same two salads for the last week.
- •Write postcards when on holiday.Didn't you go on holiday to get a break from all these obligations and people?!
- •Write Christmas cards to friends and family.I cannot think of anything more exhausting.
- •Go to conferences.Seriously. How?!