Perfect Gluten- & Dairy-free Carrot Cake W/ Coconut Cardamom Frosting
My favorite cake in the world. Incredible with or without frosting. Adapted from Caitlin Van Horn's Roost Blog.
- •3 cups almond flour 2 tsp sea salt 1 tsp baking soda 1 TBS cinnamon 1 tsp nutmeg 5 eggs 1/2 cup honey 1/4 cup grapeseed oil (I've used coconut, ghee) 3 cups carrots, grated 1 cup raisins 1 cup walnuts
- •Preheat oven to 325°. In a large bowl, combine almond flour, salt, baking soda, cinnamon & nutmeg.
- •In a separate bowl, mix together eggs, honey and oil.
- •Stir carrots, raisins and walnuts into wet ingredients. Stir wet ingredients into dry.
- •Place batter into 2 well greased, round 9 Inch cake pans. Bake at 325° for 35 minutes. Cool to room temperature and spread with coconut cream frosting.
- •COCONUT CREAM 1 cup coconut milk 1 1/4 cup coconut oil 1 1/2-1 cup honey (depending on how sweet you like it) 1 TBS cardamom
- •Heat the coconut milk and honey in a saucepan until hot and incorporated. Remove from heat and stir in the coconut oil until melted. Add cardamom.
- •Place mixture in a jar or bowl and place in the freezer for about 35-45 minutes or until the frosting/cream has thickened. If still frozen, leave at room temp for a bit until spreadable.