10 DREAM ROAD-TRIPS, RANKED
These are my history-related photo-blogging Instagramming driving-long-distance dream road-trips. Another Boring Old Dad List™💤💤💤
- 1.Lewis and Clark's Expedition to the Pacific and backYes, we're stopping at every road-side history sign and pull out and comparing today's view to their journal's description. No, we are definitely not there yet.
- 2.The Oregon TrailNot the '90s computer game, the real deal! Independence MO to Oregon City! Again with all the road-side stops.
- 3.Ohio Presidents TourEsp Hayes, Garfield and McKinley. I've already got a six-day houses/birthplaces/graves tour mapped out with an extension to Buffalo NY for Grover Cleveland sights. #goals (right?)
- 4.The length of the Mississippi RiverMinnesota's Lake Itasca to New Orleans and beyond... Mark Twain and Bob Dylan.
- 5.Old Route 66Let's get our kicks, Chicago to LA style.
- 6.Presidential Assassinations TourWashington 2x, Buffalo, Dallas. Not so much a road-trip as a series of visits I suppose. Yes, partly inspired by Sarah Vowell.
- 7.The Mormon TrailMy wife's ancestors made this trek in 1850s on foot with handcarts. Would be fun to retrace it from Nauvoo to SLC... in an air-conditioned Subaru.
- 8.The length of the Erie CanalSuch a forgotten important period of American history and a part of the country to which I've never been.
- 9.The Santa Fe TrailBoth Cimarron cutoff and Mountain trails. Extra detour time for Taos. And maybe a return visit to Roswell.
- 10.Major Dwight Eisenhower's 1919 military car trip across AmericaWhich took 62 days and the roads were so poor west of the Missouri River he discovered the need for an Interstate highway system, which he signed into law when he was president in the 1950s.
- 11.Bonus: Major League BallparksSee a game in every stadium in one summer. Not really historical but simply old guy road-trip fun.
- 12.Bonus: RAGBRAIThe annual bike ride across Iowa has been on my radar since I rode my bike down the west coast from Canada to San Francisco in 1980.