10 FAVORITE ACTIVE FILM DIRECTORS, RANKED
Not best. Personal. Favorite. Definitive. (Been working on this one for months.... So hard to leave people off.) If they have a film coming out I want to see it. Gulp. Sublisted films ranked too.
- 10.Tim BurtonMars Attacks! Pee-Wee's Big Adventure. Big Eyes. Beetlejuice. Big Fish. Edward Scissorhands. (Loved his early stuff, recent feels like a cliche of himself. Wish Spike Jonze had more features...)
- 9.Steven SpeilbergRaiders of the Lost Ark. Saving Private Ryan. Catch Me If You Can. The Terminal. Jurassic Park. Close Encounters of the Third Kind. Lincoln. Bridge of Spies. Etc.
- 8.Christopher NolanThe Prestige. Memento. Inception. Insomnia. The Dark Knight. Batman Begins. The Dark Knight Rises. Interstellar.
- 7.Ben StillerZoolander. The Cable Guy. Tropic Thunder. The Secret Life of Walter Mitty. Reality Bites. The Ben Stiller Show (TV sketches). Haven't yet seen: Zoolander 2.
- 6.Alexander PayneThe Descendants. Election. About Schmidt. Nebraska. Citizen Ruth. Sideways.
- 5.Richard LinklaterSchool of Rock. Boyhood. Dazed and Confused. Before Sunset. Before Sunrise. Before Midnight. Slacker. Bernie. Waking Life. TBD: Everybody Wants Some.
- 4.Edgar WrightScott Pilgrim vs The World. Shaun of the Dead. Hot Fuzz. The World's End. Spaced TV series.
- 3.Taika WaititiWhat We Do In The Shadows. Boy. Eagle vs Shark. TBD: Hunt for the Wilderpeople. TBD: Thor: Ragnarok.
- 2.Wes AndersonFantastic Mister Fox. The Grand Budapest Hotel. Bottle Rocket. Moonrise Kingdom. Rushmore. The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou. The Darjeeling Limited. The Royal Tannebaums.
- 1.Joel Coen and Ethan CoenRaising Arizona. O Brother Where Art Thou. The Hudsucker Proxy. Fargo. Inside Llewyn Davis. No Country for Old Men. The Big Lebowski. A Serious Man. Hail, Caesar. True Grit. Barton Fink. Miller's Crossing. Blood Simple. Burn After Reading.