10 FAVORITE DOCUMENTARY FILMS ABOUT MUSIC, RANKED
I love movies. I love music, I love documentaries about music. Here are my 10 favorites. Inspired by @nathanveshecco and @roche
- 10.It Might Get LoudJack White, the Edge and Jimmy Page talk and play (and make!) guitars.
- 9.Gimme ShelterThe Stones on their 1969 US tour, which ends (badly) at Altamont.
- 8.The Last WaltzThe Band plays a final concert and Scorsese films it. A great concert film.
- 7.Searching for Sugar ManA fascinating film about an American musician (unknown here) who was huge in South Africa, and the quest to see if the rumor about his death is true.
- 6.High Lonesome: The Story of BluegrassHow Bill Monroe, Lester Flatt and Earl Scruggs made the modern bluegrass sound.
- 5.The Wrecking CrewThe story of the best LA studio session players of the 1960s who played behind all the great California recording artists of the day.
- 4.20 Feet From StardomA great doc about backup singers. (Added bonus: my wife's cousin edited this film).
- 3.Standing in the Shadows of MotownThe story of the Funk Brothers, the studio band at Motown who played the music on all of the labels' hits from '59 to '72
- 2.Stop Making SenseJonathan Demme's excellent Talking Heads concert film is the best concert film ever.
- 1.Don't Look BackD.A. Pennebaker's landmark documentary about Dylan's '65 tour of England. Mesmerizing.