10 FAVORITE MUSICALS, RANKED
This will be a hybrid list between movie and stage musicals (plus a few honorable mentions). Note: When I think 'musical' I'm biased to the great Broadway shows (that sometimes become very good movies, rather than movies that become Broadway tickets or stand-alone movie musicals). Thanks for the request @nikkilounoel — I won't delete this draft!
- 15.Honorable Mention: A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the ForumSondheim. I've seen the film and only include here because my son played the Buster Keaton role (from the film version) in high school and I saw it a bunch. Favorite song: "Everybody Ought to Have a Maid"
- 14.Honorable Mention: The Wizard of OzI don't think of it as a musical but it clearly has a bunch of very singable songs. Favorite song: If I Were King of the Jungle.
- 13.Honorable Mention: AssassinsI haven't seen it, and probably never will, but I enjoy the Sondheim soundtrack and love the idea of a musical about presidential assassins (yes I have old Dad interest in history). Favorite song: The Ballad of Czolgosz.
- 12.Honorable Mention: HamiltonI love the soundtrack, but I haven't seen it and probably never will get to. See above re: old Dad and history. Fav song: Satisfied. I presume this will be No.1 if I ever get to see it, because listed: 24 THOUGHTS ON 'ALEXANDER HAMILTON' BY AN OLD GUY, ALPHABETIZED
- 11.Honorable Mention: Peter PanMy only stage appearance: I played the Crocodile in a cast made up of special needs people with my nephew who has Down syndrome. It was an amazing experience. Favorite song: The Pirate Song
- 10.Guys and DollsA classic movie musical. Brando and Sinatra. Have seen a high school production. Not aging well as its of its time re: plot and treatment of women, but the songs are fun. Favorite song: Luck Be A Lady.
- 9.Les MisérablesClassic story, great music. Saw a national touring cast in Denver and of course the original cast soundtrack is amazing. Favorite song: Building the Barricade.
- 8.OklahomaSo many catchy songs. I've seen the film and a high school (!) production. Favorite song: Kansas City.
- 7.SpamalotI saw a national touring cast and the amusing soundtrack. It may help that I'm in Monty Python's target audience. Favorite song: The Song That Goes Like This.
- 6.WickedGreat songs. I saw a national touring stage version and enjoy the soundtrack very much. Love the plot. Favorite song: Defying Gravity.
- 5.West Side StoryAnother classic: I've seen the film many times because I love the Jerome Robbins choreography. Have also seen dinner theater and high school productions. Favorite song: Gee Officer Krupeke!
- 4.The Music ManSo many classic songs and a wonderful plot. I've seen several dinner theater, college and high school productions as well as the (lessor) Matthew Broderick TV version and the (better) Robert Preston (and baby Ron Howard) version of this great Meredith Wilson show. Favorite Song: Marian the Librarian. Or Trouble In River City. Or...
- 3.The Pirates of PenzanceWhen my kids were 4 and 5 we watched the Kevin Kline and Linda Ronstadt version nearly daily and listened to the soundtrack in the minivan for about two years. I still love the music. Amazing wordplay. Pirates! Favorite Song: With Cat-Like Tred, Upon Our Prey We Steal.
- 2.Top HatFred and Ginger. Irving Berlin songs. A great film musical, and such amazing dancing. Favorite song: Isn't This A Lovely Day (To Be Caught In The Rain)
- 1.Singin' In The RainThe best. Gene Kelly, Debbie Reynolds and Donald O'Connor. Such great songs and amazing tap dancing. Favorite song: Make 'Em Laugh.