10 FAVORITE NEWSPAPER COMICS, RANKED
I have been reading daily newspaper comics for almost 50 years (!). I love the forced creativity of the limited newsprint space, low halftone quality (simple and clean!) and the daily deadlines. The best ones overcome the limitations of space and time to be amazing narrative art. These are my favorites. Inspired by @angusisley
- 10.Hagar the HorribleIt was Hagar or Blondie for the 10th slot, as both have been in every newspaper comics page I've read since 1969 so I've seen a lot of panels (quick calculation: probably more than 12,000 strips each!) Neither have ever been hilarious, but perseverance is worth something? I give the slot to Hagar because of my lifelong affection for Vikings.
- 9.Pearls Before SwineThis is one I want to like and it's growing on me, but I've only been reading the last couple of years so it's still new to me. I do like many of the gags and ideas and puns and wordplay... but too new to me to be higher.
- 8.Baby BluesThis strip showed up when I was finally old enough to identify with the parents rather than the kids. Charming drawings and a likable family.
- 7.PeanutsI grew up with Charlie Brown (not a great athlete, like me), Snoopy (who could daydream anything, like me) and Charles Schulz, who I would see and meet around my hometown from time to time. I'm sad to see it still published but at least they didn't hire someone else to draw it. My favorite strip before I was 20.
- 6.ZitsMy favorite comic that's still running — and still amusing.
- 5.Bloom CountyCrazy fun. Bill the Cat.
- 4.FoxtrotSundays only now, but the collections are so fun to read. I like all the kids and both parents: great quirks and fun personalities.
- 3.DilbertSo great when it first came out...
- 2.The Far SideOften laugh out loud funny.
- 1.Calvin and HobbesPerfection in every way.