ME AT HALF MY AGE
Inspired by @nathanveshecco. Another Mini List History™💤
- •It is 1989. Yes 1989. And I'm 27.Gulp.
- •70% of you are not yet born.
- •The rest of you are still in school.Mostly grade school or high school. A few of you old timers may be in college.
- •I'm about 5 years out of college. I'm working as an editor during the days and freelancing at a newspaper as a sportswriter at night.Living in lovely Santa Rosa, California.
- •I've been married for about 18 monthsNo kids yet. Yes, I tended to wear board shorts (when I wasn't working). And yes: as you can see, a 1980s semi-mullet hair style.
- •I'm slowly turning over my music collection from cassette tapes to CDs.New tech is expensive. We paid like $400 for a CD player and an album on CD costs about $15, which is like $32 today.
- •Houses have things called telephones
- •I have a Mac SEPaid $2700 for it. And then $500 for a 20 megabyte external hard drive. I play a lot of Tetris and Scarab of Ra. Write a couple of novels on it too.
- •I have a very primitive email message system at work.You can only message other employees. No one outside the company. I'm hearing rumors of something called the Internet, but I won't get my own @ email address until 1991. I won't visit the WWW until 1995.
- •We saw a bunch of great moviesBill and Ted's Excellent Adventure. Back to the Future 2. Say Anything. When Harry Met Sally. Major League.
- •We saw some pretty good concerts tooOingo Boingo. They Might Be Giants. The Proclaimers. Depeche Mode. OMD.
- •I'm driving a 1985 Corolla.It's reliable
- •I saw my first and only World Series Game in person. A's beat my Giants.Remember the earthquake game at Candlestick? I wasn't there. But when the game was rescheduled, my coworker was scheduled to work and couldn't go so he gave me his tickets. So my wife and I got to see the World Series.
- •Students protest for democracy in Tiananmen Square in China.It won't end well. For the students.
- •Oh yeah: The Iron Curtain fallsPoland recognizes Solidarity. Hungary takes down miles of barbed wire. Czechoslovakia opens its borders. By November the Berlin Wall comes down.