THE TIME I THANKED TAIKA WAITITI
Seeing Taika Waititi in the Sundance news over the weekend reminded me of the time I got to see him.... aka, a fanboy letter disguised as a narrative list.
- •You know Taika, right? He's a film director from New Zealand.
- •His new movie debuted at Sundance last week with Sam Neill. It's called 'Hunt for the WilderPeople'.Looking forward to seeing it. It releases in NZ in March; the news is it sold to an American distributor so we in the states may get to see it later this year.
- •He made the enchanting 'Eagle vs Shark' with a very young Jemaine Clement.You know Jemaine - half of Flight of the Conchords.
- •Then he made the wonderful 'Boy'Have you seen it? You have to see it.
- •(He's also in line to helm 2017's 'Thor: Ragnarok')Moving to the Hollywood big time.
- •So it's April 2014. I'm at the Stanley Horror Film Festival.The Stanley Hotel is in Estes Park, Colorado and served as Stephen King's inspiration for the Overlook Hotel in The Shining. It's a perfect place for a horror film fest.
- •We're seeing the vampire comedy 'What We Do In The Shadows' fresh from its successful debut at Sundance.
- •Following the screening, the Director Taika Waititi conducts a Q&A.He brings Jemaine Clement into the room via Skype in full Vladislav makeup and character for his own Q&A.
- •Here's a pic of what it looks like from the back of the screening room, where I was sitting.
- •The film is so funny. You must watch it.
- •The Q&A was also so funny. That's Taika.
- •Afterwards, we all file out through the single door at the back of the hall. Turns out I'm right next to Taika as we shuffle out.I'm excited and nervous. Should I say something? Would that be presumptuous? Or simply polite?
- •As we get to the exit, I decide to speak. I shake his hand and thank him for coming to Colorado and for making such a funny film.He says 'Thanks' in return.
- •We wait a year for a theatrical release in the US. Then six more months for the DVDI think you can still stream it on Netflix. If you can you should.
- •Still: I got to thank him.I like to think you would've thanked him too if you've seen any of his films.