HOW I BECAME THE OWNER OF WHIPPED CREAM & OTHER DELIGHTS
Behind the music. Inspired by Saucy Album Covers They Kept in the Backroom-Ranked and comment from @Gola - thanks for jogging this memory.
- •I became the new manager of the old bank.When you're a new manager, you go around to all the businesses in the area and introduce yourself.
- •One of our customers owned the local record store. It became a refuge.When you're the manager, being in the break room does NOT stop your staff from interrupting. The record store was right across the street so I went there occasionally just to leave the building.
- •Got to know the owner.Nice guy. Sort of a hippie, long ponytail, t-shirts with Rolling Stones or Jethro Tull album covers on them. Knew everything about music and had a story for all his merchandise. Kinda shy around me but sometimes I don't shut up 🤐 so I just wrote it off as the reason.
- •He started to come in himself to make the daily deposits.Before he used to send one of his employees. So we chatted-part of the job, making personal connections. We had a good rapport. I enjoyed talking to him but kept it professional.
- •I still went over to the store to browse.They specialized in mostly vintage vinyl, buying entire collections so always something new. (I didn't even own a turntable then) Always awesome albums in stock and in window displays. Didn't just loiter but usually had him order new CDs.
- •So one day, I see this in the window display.He got it in a recent acquisition and of course it goes in the window-I mean, look at it! Can't recall the conversation but said I admired it, etc. & we talked about Herb Albert and his career as a musician, producer and record label executive. (He's the A in A & M records) https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Herb_Alpert
- •You probably know where this is going.Being an admirer of something doesn't always mean you want to own it but a few days later, he brings it in. "I know how much you liked this and I want you to have it". I gave the usual response, no I couldn't take it, I'll pay for it, yada yada. But he insisted. 😬 I took it home & tucked it in my closet.
- •Still cordial, still friendly but didn't want to give the wrong impression.Maybe the store visits were too frequent or I was TOO friendly or ?? Anyway...
- •There was a management opening back in my town.I was anxious to be close to home-home for lunch, only needing 3 minutes to drive to work instead of 20, saving money on gas (it was around $5 a gallon then ⛽️) So I applied and was transferred.
- •The second week back at my old branch, I got a visitor.The record store guy. He came over to my desk (didn't sit down) and said "You disappeared. I came in to say, goodbye and make sure you were alright."
- •I haven't seen him since 🎈