Sharon Jones, Breaking Barriers
- •I heard the news todayand the news was very sad.
- •We went to see Sharon Jones & the Dap KingsA year ago, November 2, 2015, Arcata, CA. She came out, exuberant and energetic, singing her first song. In heels 👠
- •She took a moment to tell us a little bit about what she'd been going through.Very understated considering she had been re-diagnosed with pancreatic cancer. She presumedly would be receiving treatment WHILE ON TOUR. Chemo, again. She joked that her hair was just starting to grow back. And said her feet had been hurting and would we mind if she slipped into something more comfortable.
- •Ms. Jones performed with more energy than people half her age and twice as healthy.Her voice was and is dynamic, clear and soulful. She put on one hell of a show. I'm not gonna lie-I didn't know much about her before the show. I'd heard "100 Days, 100 Nights" and loved it. In case you haven't https://youtu.be/8ouI5KcyHfE
- •I'd watched the video when Prince played guitar while Sharon sang. Paris, 2011.
- •She released her first record when she was 40. 40!!!So anyone out there who thinks it can't happen for them, here's your role model.
- •We had good seats, close to the stage.I only took a few pictures-partly cause I don't like being 'that guy' who annoys everyone around them and trying to be more in the moment.
- •She was bringing people onstage...She leaned down to ME (we were very close) and motioned to come on stage. I shook my head-suddenly I'm shy? She was cool and moved on. See that guy-he jumped at the chance. Now I sit here with my regret.
- •What a show. What an amazing band. We left uplifted and invigorated.
- •I'll be buying her Christmas album this year.The new album, It’s A Holiday Soul Party, features many classics like “Silver Bells” and “Silent Night” alongside some of the band’s holiday standards, like the awesome “Ain’t No Chimneys In the Projects.” (www.pastemagazine.com)
- •Tagging the listers who mentioned her in their lists. 💞