WAYS MY DAD'S YODELING INFLUENCED MY LIFE-A PARADOX
In the beginning there was Dad. Yodeling is a loose metaphor for marching to the beat of your own drummer.
- •My father came from humble beginnings.Born in Homer, Nebraska raised in Sioux City, Iowa. A self proclaimed hick, hayseed and farm boy.
- •Being resourceful.Being a farm boy taught him how to make do with what he had, create his own kind of fun and learn about real life. My grandmother played the piano and my dad sang. But only after the corn fields were cared for, chickens & cows tended and fed.
- •Valuing education.My dad was the first person in his family to graduate HIGH SCHOOL 😳Now days we think if you don't get through college and on to your Masters, somehow you're less than. High school was the goal back then. This leg up gave him a way off the farm.
- •Appreciating art.A gifted artist and poet, he honed his craft with love letters to my mom and cartoons and illustrations for the Stars & Stripes, a military newspaper-still published btw-it even has an APP. This would have blown his mind!!! If I run across some of his work as I sort through stuff, I'll add.
- •Liking trivia.My dad (and mom for that matter) were VERY unconventional. In their ideas, commitment to our education, openness to taboo subjects (sex & nudity 😱 and racism 😡), foods we ate (some might remember my never having had peanut butter till I had it at a friends house-what?!) The dad in 'Captain Fantastic' reminded me of them SO much. We were quizzed at dinner- "What's the distance from earth to the moon?' Who discovered the South Pole?' 'Recite the beginning of the Gettysburg address'
- •Loving animals.Throughout my childhood, we had parakeets, fish, turtles, hamsters, mice, rabbits, chickens, ducks and, of course, many many cats. We did not have dogs-not sure why 🤔 and now I have no one to ask. We went to a lot of zoos, aquariums and farms. (Seals at Knott's Berry Farm @Dashelamet ?)
- •Biggest influence? A love of NATURE!!!! 🌵🌳🌴🍃🍂🌾🌼There isn't enough room to list everything we did, as a family and with just him and I. Best memories? Los Angeles arboretum, Carlsbad Caverns, Irvine Park, hiking the Grand Canyon, Yosemite camping ⛺️, so MANY beaches, orange groves, corn fields, Yellowstone and all the vista points we stopped along all the roads we traveled.
- •You might be saying, 'Ok, that's cool about your dad and all but I thought this was going to be about yodeling??'Here's what it sounded like. Listen at your own risk cause this is pure hillbilly (Dick Thomas 1945) Yodeling is at the very end. http://youtu.be/w-1h-Ifsptg Think of this as an educational endeavor. 🤓
- •Thanks for the list request @andersun!