A FEW REASONS WHY ENGLISH MUST BE DIFFICULT TO LEARN
Learning a second language is difficult no matter what, but doesn't it seem like ESL comes with a whole slew of different ways to trip you up?
- •As I brush up on my French and become increasingly frustrated with little rules like these in the language, it made me aware of what ESL learners must find difficult about the English language.
- •Silent letters everywhereKnife? Gnarly?? Enough???
- •Suffixes like "ough" can be pronounced many different waysAKA, enough or dough
- •Silly words like "emoji", "twerk" and "derp" are literally in the dictionary
- •Sometimes one word can have different tenses, look the same, but be pronounced differentlyRead vs. Read
- •Sometimes they can look the same and have entirely differently meanings and pronunciationsWindy vs. Windy
- •Words like dessert/desert or loose/lose are always trying to trick us!
- •I before E, except after C is a lieSee: weird
- •Pluralizing can be a nightmareMoose -> moose , goose -> geese, mouse -> mice
- •Irregular verbsAck.
- •They're/their/there, too/to/two, etc.Ah!