TIPS FOR A GOOD NIGHT SLEEP FROM AN INSOMNIAC💤
After years of sleepless nights, I've learned to sleep an adequate amount. Here's how I did it.
- •Tip #1: NEVER take a nap, no matter how tired you are. I can promise you, you'll regret it at night.
- •Tip #2: ASMR. I feel like linking to your own lists might be in bad taste, but I'm doing it anyway. THE BENEFITS OF ASMRThere are several podcasts (ex: Sleep with Me) that create the same effect.
- •Tip #3: A hot bath with 1/4 cup Epsom salts relaxes your body and can make you feel cozy and comfy enough to slide into bed and into dreamland with minimal effort.
- •Tip #4: Read before bed. This one doesn't work for me, because I'd remain wide awake reading the dictionary. But fellow bad sleepers have recommended to me a heavy read or dull book to lull myself to sleep.
- •Tip #5: Keep not only your sleeping space, but the rest of your living quarters clean! If where you live is unsettled, it's not surprising your sleeping habits are off too.
- •Tip #6: Invest in blackout curtains. They can be pricier than regular curtains and are usually hideous, but IT IS WORTH IT.
- •Tip #7: Don't work where you sleep. I used to do a lot of writing in my bed; when it came time to go to sleep, my mind would not shut off because my body was still in its work space.If you work from home a lot, buy a nice desk and limit your work to that space.
- •Tip #8: One of my favourite tips is to flip around my clock at night and avoid looking at the time during a bout of insomnia.Everyone has experienced lying in bed watching time pass by, while simultaneously attempting to figure out just how many minutes you have left to sleep before your alarm clock starts blaring. Anxiety galore.
- •Tip #9: Journaling before bed lets me work out all that shit I've been worrying about all day and makes me less likely to use sleeping time to deal with it.
- •Tip #10: Sleepy tea. I'm not sure if this actually works, but I use Bigelow Sweet Dreams herbal tea and it certainly doesn't hurt. *It also doesn't hurt to find your caffeine cutoff time*I only learned a couple of years ago that most green teas contain caffeine and it literally changed my life.
- •Tip #11: Have the best cat ever curl up at your side. You can borrow mine if you want, she works really well.(My attempt to get a picture of Monkey in all my lists, but this really does work if your cat isn't a jerk)
- •Tip #12: Have a general idea for the following day, a to-do list at least, so that you don't have to think about it before you drift off.Apps like any.do are my favourite for to-do lists!
- •Tip #13: This.Bought from a store in my hometown called Moonsnail Soapworks. It doesn't just help when I'm trying to sleep, but eases my mind when I'm feeling anxious.
- •Things I've been told to do, haven't done, and probably should do to help with sleeping: maintain a regular bedtime, stop going to the gym at night, drink less alcohol😩, stop eating after 8pm.
- •What are your tips???