Things I Yell When My Boys Wrestle
I have four boys who all wrestle for their schools. I went from shutting my eyes at first to yelling helpful advice. At least that's how I see it.
- •"Ok! Let's go!"Because I need him to know it's ok to start wrestling. And I clap.
- •"Wrestle!"Because I think he's intimidated by his opponent.
- •"Don't tie up! Get out of that!"Because his coach just yelled that. If I yell it louder, he'll hear me because I'm his mother. I think I read that somewhere.
- •"Stand up!"Because he's on his belly with his opponent crushing him.
- •"Be careful!"Because he's about to throw his opponent in a particularly vicious mat return. (Lift him up and throw him down on the mat.)
- •"You look strong!"Because that's code for "the other kid is gassed (exhausted.)" I NEVER cheer against the other kid.
- •"Move to the other side of the mat if you don't want to hear me!"Yelled to my 13yo who begs me to stop yelling while his older brothers are wrestling.
- •"Fight it! Fight it!"Because he's about to get pinned.
- •"Finish it! Finish it!"Because he's about to pin his kid.
- •"Oh thank God."More of a mumbled prayer because it's over.