5 THINGS NOT TO SAY TO SOMEONE IF THEY'RE STRESSED/ANXIOUS/DEPRESSED
Just a little reminder of things that you may want to reconsider saying to someone who is going through some rough times.
- •"I understand"But do you understand? You can listen, you can feel for your friend, but you can't really totally understand what they may be dealing with. Don't assume you know.
- •"You just need to learn to be happy"If only learning to be happy was that instantaneous and could happen on demand. People try so hard to attain happiness but it comes and goes. Don't further blame someone who can't bring themselves to feel happy at the moment, they are probably trying.
- •"Be grateful for what you have"Chances are they are grateful for all they have and they do see the ways in which they are blessed. But being grateful does not cancel out other stresses, anxieties, and distress. The feelings can exist simultaneously.
- •Don't get distracted. Focus on you/your workThey are probably trying, but still feel themselves being pulled in every other direction.
- •"Maybe you should pray more" (Muslim tip)I hear this a lot among people who are Muslim (which I am too). Suggesting this, even if not intending to, may relay the message that you believe their is something morally or spiritually wrong with them. This could push an individual further into their stress, depression or anxiety, and maybe even further away from their faith. Don't be the cause of that.