HOW TO MAKE A CHOICE IN 5 STEPS (OR LESS)
Someone taught me these steps. I thought it might help someone out there to pass it on. 'Cause man-oh-man, this system kinda changed my life (especially Step 5). It's a great way to short-circuit obsessive thinking, worrying and all the other neurotic nonsense my brain enjoys!
- 1.Make a list of pros and cons.Whichever option has the most pros, choose that. If you still feel unsure - or if the pros and cons are pretty much even - go to Step 2.
- 2."Meditate" on your options.Whatever that means to you. Maybe you actually sit, close your eyes and do a formal meditation; maybe you just take a walk around the block and think about it... whatever. If you still don't know the answer, go to Step 3.
- 3.Talk to a friend.Discuss the choice that's in front of you. But do NOT make the decision while talking to your friend. Otherwise you'll end up holding them hostage for hours, trying to "figure it out" (which usually means struggling to talk them into one decision or the other). Just lay out the choices, get their feedback, thank them for it and go to Step 4.
- 4.Make one more list of pros and cons.Whichever choice has the most pros, choose that. If you still feel unsure - or if the pros and cons are still pretty even - go to Step 5.
- 5.Flip a coin.Seriously! If you've done all that work and still can't decide, congratulations! You have two totally valid options, each with pluses and minuses. Flip a coin, go with that result and get on with your life. Works every time! (NOTE: I tried really hard to find a GIF of Billy Dee Williams saying "Works every time." I failed.)