Movies I Saw This Weekend
Because my wife is the best person alive, she will occasionally surprise me by saying, "I'll take the kids while you do whatever you want today." What I want to do is SEE MOVIES.
- •SICARIOI was shocked by how ugly and hopeless this film was. But can't argue that the situation in Juarez feels ugly and hopeless. Sometimes this movie made me mad, as it drifted into power/ revenge fantasies that felt cheap. Sometimes it felt like a racist, Donald Trump wet dream, too. But the ending was incredibly powerful, haunting and reframed a lot of the movie for me. Benecio is magnifico. (Hope they use that for a "pull-quote!")
- •THE MARTIANFun, on-the-nose, "inspirational movie" stuff. I loved Prometheus and felt like this was Ridley Scott making the sunny version of that story. I bet Matt Damon's a good-time guy when you hang out with him. Until, you know, some politics come up and things get weird.
- •BONUS LIST: TRAILERS I SAW THIS WEEKEND!
- •SPECTREJesus, this can't get here fast enough!
- •JOYJennifer Lawrence is so magnetic and alive in this trailer. I'm glad she's done with those Hunger Games movies.
- •CRIMSON PEAK