Tv I Watched With My Parents Growing Up
Because @sophia is the boss.
- •Saturday Night LiveI love that everyone else mentions this one, too. I couldn't sleep one night and heard my parents laughing from the next room. I came out to investigate; it was the bizarre "Frog Island" sketch with Gilda Radner. They let me stay up to watch. I was hooked for life.
- •SoapI feel like this show is pretty overlooked today, even though it featured Billy Crystal as one of primetime's first gay (or at least out) characters. Any show that made my parents laugh was magic and had to be studied closely by young me.
- •WKRP in Cincinnati
- •PBSBecause my parents were hippies who wanted to say "TV is bad" - but also wanted to watch TV - we saw LOTS of PBS. Operas, the science show Nova (life-changing!), classic musicals/ live theater, old Marx Brothers movies during pledge month and - with my Dad - Monty Python!
- •Family Ties/ Cheers/ Night CourtI think they were all on the same night - Thursdays on NBC, right?
- •NewhartLarry, Darryl and Darryl ruled - especially because we had moved to Kentucky, and they reminded me of half the population.
- •St. Elsewhere/ MoonlightingI feel like these were "Mom shows" - I don't remember my Dad or sister joining us on these ones.
- •Late-night scary movies with my DadIn the pre-VCR days, he woke me up in the middle of the night to watch the original "Frankenstein." It's one of my favorite memories of my father. I also remember us watching "Vampire Circus" and the "Invasion of the Body Snatchers" remake, which scared me so bad that my Mom and Dad got into a fight about it.
- •"Wizard of Oz" and "Willy Wonka," once a year.
- •And the mother of them all... MURDER SHE MOTHERFUCKIN' WROTE!!!WE LIVED FOR THAT SHIT!