Videos That Went "Viral" Before YouTube
Remember the 1990s, when you and your nerdy friends would pass around staticky VHS tapes of weird stuff, the same way people send YouTube links now? (Of course you don't remember, you're younger than me!) Here are some of the most memorable, with YouTube links. If you've got examples, add them below.
- •FARTING PREACHER. Robert Tilton was a televangelist who made funny faces. Some very mature individual had the brilliant idea to dub fart sounds over his sermons. Me and my friends giggled.
- •FAT ALBERT PERFORMS NWA'S "GANGSTA GANGSTA." The best part of this one is, it was WAY before iMovie. You know it was just some maniac in his basement "editing" between two VCRs.
- •PINKY THE CAT. I don't like to think of myself as a cruel person, but I can't watch this or Kelsey Grammer falling off the stage without losing it. 16 years ago, me and all my coworkers had the Sheriff's scream from this video as the "new email alert" on our Dell computers.
- •HARVEY SID FISHER. Lounge singer guy performs songs about the Zodiac on public access. I knew every one of these songs by heart.
- •MICHELLE THE NOISY STEVE VAI GROUPIE. I don't feel comfortable linking to this one or even describing it. Oh, and I wish I'd never seen it.
- •BONUS VIDEO: MR. SHOW'S "UNDERGROUND TAPE RAILROAD." The whole phenomenon of 1990s nerds trading tapes was brilliantly parodied in this Bob Odenkirk and David Cross sketch.
- •Bambi meets GodzillaI think the 1st time I saw this was at a "Spike & Mike's Sick & Twisted Animation Fest." I thought it was HILARIOUS! http://youtu.be/BXCUBVS4kfQSuggested by @eatthelove
- •The Exploding Whalehttps://m.youtube.com/watch?v=XVVW8BferzQ I first saw this in the early '00s at a family gathering with my in laws. It was on their passed-around VHS with the Farting Preacher and Larry Williams Gives Directions.Suggested by @ladyprofessor
- •Zapruder filmSuggested by @jduganbarrett
- •Mr. Bill on SNLSuggested by @Gaetan
- •The Patterson-Gimlin filmSuggested by @moonjockey
- •The End of the Worldhttp://www.ebaumsworld.com/videos/ftpf-end-of-ze-world/83492289/ This is when I still had to ask for permission for my hour of Internet from my parents. (They couldn't get calls while I was online...)Suggested by @MandyKN
- •Badger, Badger, BadgerYou can't forget this classic https://www.badgerbadgerbadger.comSuggested by @Kevbuddy
- •2 girls one cup 😷Suggested by @smurf
- •Bubb Rubb and Lil Sis - Whistle Tips. https://youtu.be/Nnzw_i4YmKkThe whistle goes woooooooooo. But that's only in the morning.Suggested by @charlie