THE BEST THING THAT HAPPENED IN AMERICA IN 2015
2015 was a rough year for America, and for the world. We had more gun massacres than days, a buffoon is leading the GOP presidential race, and millions of refugees are fleeing a failed state into largely unwelcoming countries. It wasn't a great year. But one amazing thing happened, and I'll never forget the feeling in our country that day.
- •On June 26th, 2015, marriage equality was legalized nationwide
- •I woke up, checked Twitter and felt like an explosion went off inside me
- •I started sobbing and turned on the news
- •I remember thinking, "my future kids will never live in a country where marriage equality doesn't exist"
- •I remember thinking, "my friends are as free as I am now"
- •It was such a triumph
- •There is so much horrible violence and pain in our aching world
- •But I will never forget the exhilaration in my gay friends' voices and eyes when they heard the news
- •I will never forget the electric joy in the air that day
- •It wasn't a great year, but that was a truly great day
- •And for that I am thankful