Inspired by and in contrast to @bjnovak's List.
- 1.WINTERPiling on the layers of clothing, getting hit in the eye by snow, looking down at your hand and noticing it's BLEEDING from being so chapped from the cold. Ah. Bliss. But really- winter is my favorite season because it's when I feel most creative. I write more, read more, watch more. And since it's generally considered to be a period of misery, moments of glee really stand out. Every time you leave the house and successfully get where you need to go, it feels like a small victory.
- 2.FALLFall is the perfect marriage of the coziness of winter and the crisp air of spring. Sunshine + cold breeze = heaven is real. No season makes me want to be outside more, morning noon and night. Parks were MADE for fall frolicking. In that sense, I think Fall is the most romantic season. In summer and winter, the conditions are too extreme for romance, and spring is already overly romanticized, thus rendering it less so to me. ERRYONE looks good when the leaves start changing color.
- 3.SPRINGWhen winter becomes spring in New York, it actually is a form of paradise. I very clearly recall my first BAD winter here, and when it became spring and I wore a dress for the first time, I hadn't remembered what it felt like to feel the SENSUOUS BREEZE on my petite legs, previously entombed in wool leggings and overalls for many months prior. I never knew the breeze could be so EROTIC
- 4.FIRST WEEK OF SUMMER"This could be really fun! Yeah! I'm going out, drinking a lot, spending time with friends, drinking, having drinks, it seems like it'll last the whole summer! Right?"
- 5.THE REST OF SUMMERFucking Mosquitos. The end. There is this expectation in summer that everyone has to be out and social and enthusiastic about life, so if you're NOT feeling that way, you feel like a failure to the season. Part of why the colder months are so inspiring to me is because they EXPECT you to hate them, they expect you to be miserable, so if you're NOT, it's doubly satisfying. Disclaimer: if I could escape to the seaside or some island or nice place for the summer, List might have to be rethought.
- 6.THAT STRETCH OF TIME IN SEPTEMBER WHEN YOU THINK ITS GONNA BE FALLBut then it suddenly turns from a 68 degree day to an 82 degree day, and you are stuck in Times Square trying to get on the train wearing a full on trench coat and scarf because you were so excited for summer to be over but then IT WASN'T