WORDS AND PHRASES MY GRANDPARENTS USE
- •DavenportSome sort of couch? Also known as a chesterfield in grandparent speak.
- •CaddywompusAskew. As in: "The blanket on the davenport is all Caddywompus!"
- •Nice gal"Remember that nice gal...younger...looked like Bev's daughter...that nice gal... Remember?
- •Ye Gods!Grandmothers SMH: "Ye Gods did you see Dot at the alter guild meeting? She's put on weight...and so has her husband.
- •Namby PambyAn insult usually reserved for professional sports players, thrown around by my slightly homophobic grandmother
- •Heavens to Murgatroyd (and sometimes Betsy)Similar to Ye Gods, but more surprise and less belittlement.
- •GollywogglesStomach condition post-big dinner. Tums always required.
- •Ne'er do well, fuddy duddy, nincompoopAssholes.
- •Dearie"Dearie did you pick up my pills?"
- •Lollygag and/or dilly dallyWhat I do when I'm trying to avoid seeing my grandparents