WHAT I'M MAKING FOR THANKSGIVING IN INDIA
Thanks for recommending Liz! --- This will be my husband and his family's first Thanksgiving dinner. Can't get cranberries. Or pumpkin purée. Everything has to be vegetarian. No canned foods or pre-mixed things. Not all vegetables or regular ingredients are available. Here we go...
- •Creamed cornThis'll be easy
- •QuicheThankfully my husband's aunt owns a bakery and she's making the quiche for me.
- •Dinner rollsThey don't eat these in India, so we'll see how they go over.
- •Sweet potato casserole with marshmallowsHad to get the marshmallows specially. Also the sweet potatoes in India are brown, so the casserole will look a little different.
- •Mashed potatoes and vegetarian gravyClassic. They'll like it.
- •StuffingI need vegetable stock for this. So I'll be making it from scratch by boiling all the onions and such into a broth.
- •Baked mac and cheeseOutside Delhi you can only buy one type of cheese. Here in Meerut you only get the standard Indian cheese which tastes kind of like American cheese mixed with mozzarella. So I'll be kind of throwing this together with what I can get.
- •Deviled eggsOne of my favorites. Indians don't really like cold things, though, and this I usually serve cold. They've requested me to heat it. Probably I'll warm the eggs in the oven before dinner.
- •Pumpkin pie.Made this today. And what a process.
- •Baked the pumpkin
- •Scraped out the inside once it cooled
- •Ended up with about 3/4 gallon pumpkin purée from one pumpkinI'm going to be living off of pumpkin based food for a while
- •And made evaporated milk from scratchWhich consists of heating and stirring milk until 60% of it has evaporated. It took...a while.
- •And that's my Thanksgiving this year!My first big Thanksgiving dinner to make on my own, and India is certainly throwing in a few curve balls.