WHY I'M NOT EATING TODAY
- •Today is KarvachauthIt's one of the days in the Hindu calendar when woman pray for their husbands. There are a few days like this in the Hindu calendar, but Karvachauth is different because women fast all day.
- •I'm fastingFor Karvachauth, that means I don't even drink water. From 4am until the moon is high at night.
- •I'm not HinduSo I don't do the religious ceremony, the pooja, in the evening. This year my husband will do it for me.
- •I'm ChristianSo I'm happy to fast. I like that there are days when I'm supposed to focus on and pray for the life of my husband. Fasting and prayer is something I can do, but I don't like to perform the Hindu specific religious components.
- •We'll eat at nightThe day ends when the women pour holy water in the light of the moon. My husband will pour mine for me, and then we'll all eat together.
- •What it means for the womenThese days in the Hindu calendar are largely about the women in the family spending time together. We all dress up in saris and have fun finding the moon. Yes it's about our husbands and praying for them, technically speaking, but it's really about the women.
- •So happy Karvachauth!If you're married, take a moment and pray for your husband. Or if you don't pray, send him best wishes and long life.