FOODS YOU CAN ONLY GET AT THE TEXAS STATE FAIR & QUESTIONS
As a kid I loved going to the Texas State Fair in October. True to carnival form, fair food is fried with relish and zeal. This is the home of the Corny Dog (don't call them corn dogs) and the Big Tex Food Choice Awards. Everything is bigger in Texas and quite curious when it comes to food options. We investigated. I still have questions.
- •Fried lemonadeHuh?
- •Chicken fried baconCrunchy or soggy?
- •Red velvet funnel cakesRed food dye? Cocoa powder? Cream cheese powder dusted on top?
- •Fried S'moresToasted marshmallow + chocolate sandwiched between grahams & then dipped into batter & fried?
- •Fried Taste of Autumn Pumpkin PieDid they add imported ground red and gold fall leaves from Vermont?
- •Cotton Candy BeerAvailable in blue or pink... Sweet and hoppy? Floral? Fruity? Malty?
- •Smoky Bacon MargaritaBecause bacon?
- •Chicken-fried lobster with champagne gravyIs lobster the new chicken-of-the sea?
- •Lone Star Pork HandleWhat part of the animal is a "handle" exactly?
- •Fried Beer-Battered BuffaloGreat balls of firey spice?
- •Pretzel-crusted pollo quesoYou dip, we dip, they dip?
- •Deep-fried alligator's egg nestTastes like chicken?
- •Cowboy corn crunchNo cowboys were hurt while frying?