Favorite dishes I made this Summer
(Alt. title: "Peruvian dishes I veganized last summer" but I figured that was too niche)
- 1.Mushroom SaltadoPeru's poster child for "fusion" cuisine and a quick history lesson: Native Peruvian ingredients (potatoes, tomato), Spanish ingredients brought in after the Conquest (onion, beef), in a Chinese cooking technique (stir fry) learned during the Gold Rush and road building era. Served with Peruvian double starch staples: garlic white rice (Chinese ingredient, Mediterranean staple seasoning) and potatoes (in French Fry form!) Yup. I said stir fry with French fries.
- 2.Palta RellenaTraditionally, half an avocado "stuffed" with tuna salad. My vegan version on chicavegan.tumblr.com
- 3.Pan Con PaltaAnother avo dish, just because it's a summer must! This is Peru's version of an Avocado Toast.
- 4.Causa TríoUsually served during summer time and stuffed with seafood, I wanted to play with a different presentation and other flavors.
- 5.Strawberry Parfait PaletaThis was going to be a parfait but it was a hot day, and ended up being a popsicle! I'm glad it worked out.