🎧 AURAL PLEASURES (pt1) 🎧
for a while i put together multiple lists of songs i was obsessing over, but i thought i'd ~mix things up~ and each week list an album i've had on heavy rotation over the past 7 days. it could be new, it could be old but as records now get released on fridays (so weird to me), i'll post a reflective of whatever has caught my ear the week before...
- •swet shop boys- 'cashmere'this came out on friday 14th october and i've listened to it non-stop since it appeared on spotify. it's SO great.
- •the group consists of riz ahmed (most recently in 'the night of'), heems (formerly of das racist) & producer redino.....and the record itself was apparently recorded in london in the space of 5 days.
- •there's some lyrical gold on this recordthe album is, amongst other things, an account of what it means to be of asian descent in a post 9/11 world, with both heems & riz pulling no punches when it comes to their witty & honest lyrics. this atlantic piece gives a nice overview: www.theatlantic.com/amp/article/504248
- •song i've had on repeat: 'T5'& 'tiger hologram', but the album opener throws you head first into the theme of the record. https://youtu.be/q4Yb8AWXgLI
- •while you're here, go read this:riz wrote an essay for a recently published collection entitled 'the good immigrant', his contribution of which was posted on the guardian: https://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/sep/15/riz-ahmed-typecast-as-a-terrorist - it's one of the best things i've read in a while.