MOVIES 2017: april
things i've not seen before, new & old 🎬 (i guess this is now LIVE LIST as opposed to end-of-the-month recap dump?! UGH, the wooooooorst)
- •prince of persia: the sands of time (2010)this was really very awful and boring and i have no idea what was going on (WHY ARE YOU ALL SPEAKING WITH ENGLISH ACCENTS?!). the only thing i did like was how great jake looks with long greasy hair. i'm only a few films from having seen everything he's been in (nerd goal for 2017 🤓: finally see those deep cuts i've yet to encounter) but jesus...people weren't joking when they said this was a trainwreck. i'm glad jacob escaped the franchise.
- •beauty and the beast (2017)i was beyond obsessed with disney's beauty and the beast growing up so i approached this with trepidation- it was fun! despite being a potter stan, i don't really like emma watson but she made a great belle. luke evans and josh gad stole the show for me- so brilliant. dan stevens is not hot, thus ensuring my childhood disappointment at beast's human-form continued into 2017.
- •the peanuts movie (2015)I LOVED THIS SO MUCH. all the nods to the cartoon strip & TV specials and i lost count how many times i welled up because of ~feelings~ 😭
- •free fire (2017)i love ben wheatley's work and this didn't let me down; it was so much fun, 90 minutes of chaos and comedy and classic wheatley gore in small, succinct doses. amazing cast and a brilliant score too.
- •win it all (2017)i love love love joe swanberg's collaborations with jake johnson so it was kind of inevitable that i'd enjoy this. johnson is SO great as eddie.
- •winter's bone (2010)i wrote about daniel woodrell's book whilst doing my MA a few years ago but had somehow decided not to watch the film adaptation until now. it was great; as bleak as i remember the book being and jennifer lawrence was brilliant as ree.
- •what we do in the shadows (2014)this was so great; not sure why i hadn't seen it until now but it's so beyond funny. jermaine clement is my favourite.
- •the handmaiden (2017)this was beautifully put together, had a neat little three-part structure and didn't at all feel like it's 2.5 hour run-time. also: VERY EROTIC.