things i've never seen before, new & old 📽 (for the first eight months of this year, check my profile or below this list 😎)
- •listen up philip (2014)we went to see this in a theatre last year but the projector broke and we never saw the second half. it's on Netflix finally so i was able to watch properly. it's pretty good! i'll watch Jason Schwartzman in anything though so I'm probably biased.
- •spy (2015)i was so surprised by this! i like when melissa mccarthy is allowed to be both a badass and a comedic genius. jason statham satirising himself was so, so fun too.
- •rounders (1998)god i loved this. took a sick day from work and this was absolutely the 90s damon/norton dream i needed to make myself feel better.
- •28 days (2000)i definitely thought this was older than 2000?! anyway, another sick day watch. love you sandy. love you viggo. love you mcnulty from the wire.
- •the diary of a teenage girl (2015)i'd missed this in theatres so was pleased it's made its way onto Netflix. so accurately captures the awkwardness and disruption of being a teenage girl dealing with intense feelings.
- •the fundamentals of caring (2016)paul rudd is so consistently glorious that i often think he can't be real. this was pretty sweet.
- •suicide squad (2016)definitely NOT as bad as the Internet had let me believe. i left the theatre feeling exactly as i did when I saw the avengers: this is a big, over the top movie with a million problems but one which was pretty fun and allowed me to turn my brain off for a couple of hours while a bunch of characters destroyed a city and some cool music played. that was the plot, right?
- •the mask you live in (2015)a brilliant documentary about the crisis of masculinity, from the makers of another doc I loved, 'miss representation'. I'm super intrigued (& on my MA, wrote a lot about) the way masculinity is represented in American culture, particularly the problems this brings, so this was a super interesting watch.