things i've never seen before, new & old 📽 (for the rest of this year, check my profile or below this list 👇🏻)
- •rogue one (2016)i don't think i can coherently talk about this yet 😭👏🏻💯
- •midnight special (2016)oh god i loved this so much. i'm a big fan of ~interesting sci-fi~ so this was a total treat. i'm on a michael shannon kick lately (post-'nocturnal animals'), and this might be one of my favourite of his! i love his pairing with jeff nichols, it always yields such gold.
- •scrooged (1988)is it weird that i'd never seen this until this year? idk.
- •demolition (2016)this didn't show anywhere near me when it was released this year so i used my festive break to catch it on demand whilst staying at my parents. i liked it a lot; i would listen to jake read a phone book so watching him disassemble a house was supremely relevant to my interests. chris cooper was great too, and naomi watts. it wasn't the most outstanding film i saw this year but it was an interesting look at grief & i cried a bunch. also, it uses one of my favourite sufjan stevens songs 😭
- •bridge of spies (2015)this was great though i spent the majority of the run time trying not to think about current US-russian relations, about which i have massive anxiety. also, i'll be really sad on the day that tom hanks dies- he really is one of my all time favourites.
- •suffragette (2015)this just made me cry a bunch, mostly because i feel like the world is falling apart at the moment and reminding myself that things could be SO much worse was probably a dumb idea. anyway- SUCH AN IMPORTANT STORY and a fight that still needs fighting. also, i love carey mulligan.
- •other people (2016)i had a huge argument with my mum and then watched this when i got home- BAD IDEA U GUYS. i loved this, even if it made me cry into oblivion and made my chest hurt.
- •little men (2016)god i loved this. so sweet and unassuming.