SONGS I AM CURRENTLY OBSESSED WITH (VOL 6)
...i guess this is a thing now?! the previous volumes (in which I list the musical numbers i've been revisiting over and over again) are conveniently located on my profile. here's what i've been in love with of late:
- •burn the witch by radioheadyes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes. 👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻 i didn't realise how hungry I was for a new radiohead record until i heard this for the first time last night (i've had it on a loop ever since). I love how frantic and claustrophobic those strings at the beginning and end feel. THIS IS A LOW-FLYING PANIC ATTACK.
- •harrowdown hill by thom yorkei absolutely adored thom yorke's solo album 'the eraser', and i'd revisited it last week (which now seems apt given the radiohead single drop). "did i fall or was i pushed?"
- •hold up by beyoncéso 'lemonade' (🐝🍋): like the rest of the Internet, I scrambled to listen and decode and obsess. this is my current go-to of all the tracks and apparently the one i keep singing at full volume much to my husband's dismay.
- •pop style by drakelike bey above, I was ecstatic when drake's 'views' appeared (causing me to sign up to Apple Music so I could get at it). i love the whole damn album; its full of ridiculous one liners so ludicrous they shouldn't be real and this song features one of my favourites: "got so many chains/they call me chaining tatum."
- •the only moment we were alone by explosions in the skyi finally saw them live last week for the first time ever (at the Royal Albert Hall no less) and it was breathtaking. they closed with this, one of my favourites, and i was a complete mess.
- •sultan's request by flying lotusreally i actually mean the entirety of 'until the quiet comes' but this is my current most played from that record which i'm playing into oblivion at the moment.
- •buckle by we are scientistsit's been ten years since i first fell for WAS and each album they release is so comforting with its familiarity. this is my favourite from their newest, 'helter seltzer'.
- •excursions by a tribe called questi have spun 'the low end theory' into the ground in the past few months, & the first line of this song is one of my favourite album openers ever.
- •summer babe (winter version) by pavementbecause the weather got nice here & i always listen to pavement when the weather resembles something other than rain.
- •cosmopolitan bloodloss by glassjaw1) i still actively use a glassjaw-related email address, 2) the video for this song has vincent gallo in it (and in turn, is the reason i first saw 'buffalo 66', one of my favourite movies), 3) i listened to the record this appears on non-stop from the age of 14-18. one of my all-time favourites.
- •ship to shore by the movielifethese guys reformed last year much to my utter delight; they are one of the most important bands in my musical history (like glassjaw above). I saw them play in London last night, surrounded by friends, singing myself hoarse. contains one of my favourite lines in a song ever: 'i'm writing home to tell you/that I miss it all so terribly/in the way that makes my stomach ache'- no idea why this gets me but, goddamn.
- •say anything by the bouncing soulsrenaming this list 'apryl reveals her adolescent predilection for NY/NJ punk & hardcore'.
- •the rat by the walkmenhold tight anyone who spent the early 2000s infatuated with guitar bands who sounded like the strokes but weren't the strokes but produced similarly excellent songs. this came up recently on discover weekly and i was so pleased.
- •bathroom laughter by pissed jeansdirty, scuzzy punk. yes please.
- •hair by little mix ft sean pauli have no concept of whether little mix are a thing outside the UK but this is so catchy that i just want to draw attention to it anyway 💁🏻