SPANISH TRADITIONS DURING NEW YEAR'S EVE
We get so fanatic
- 1.Being sorrounded by family or friendsOn the peak of a mountain, on the beach, in your house or in the city center but always with somebody! This big event is meant to be lived with the beloved ones!
- 2.Wearing red underwearBoys, girls, little babies, 100 year old grandmother even your cat should wear red underwear. The tradition says it will give you luck the whole new year! *note_ 1_ the days before New Year's eve it's impossible to find other colors underwear 2_ if you wear red underwear during the month of August and people notice that, they are going to ask you: are you celebrating New Year's eve? FOR SURE
- 3.Putting a gold ring inside your champagne glassThe tradition says it gives you good luck too. Try hard not to make it stuck into your throat.
- 4.CotillónNo direct translation in English. It's a bag full of complements to dress up and make some noise: a hat, a antifaz, serpentinas, a clown nose, some times confetti, plastic 'kind-of-hawaiian' necklace and the jewel of the crown... The mata-suegras, rough translated as a mother-in-law killer. Don't get scared, it's innofensive.
- 5.Following the event on televisionThis night, Spanish television channels move to La Puerta del Sol in Madrid where the crowd meet, to see how the new year is coming. The public Spanish television has Ramón García as a star for this day. Super traditional! http://youtu.be/1oVkOXP-eCY
- 6.12 grapes at 12 o'clockThis is compulsary for Spanish people. The year doesn't start if we don't proceed first. It's not that difficult, eat 12 grapes, one for each bell of the clock that says it is 12 o'clock at night and the new day, and so, new year are starting. Don't mix with the 'quarters' they come first! If you do it, more good luck for you! Kids are allowed to do it with olives and M&M's.
- 7.Telephone net collapseIt's probably a World-wide problem and it's also a tradition. Then, try not to desperate and wait or, moreover, say happy new year face to face!
- 8.Drink, dance and have breakfast with all the brave people like you that are up at 8 in the morningBreakfast after party is a must, is also good for your next-morning or whenever you wake up hungover. In Madrid tou can enjoy of 'xurros con chocolate'.
- 9.Have a happy new yearFinally, if you have followed all this steps you'll be the most happy-ever-after person in the world and your dreams and goals will be real :)