THINGS THAT WERE V COOL AT MY HIGH SCHOOL
inspired by @tothemaxxx ! At HPHS, you were a popular kid, a burnout/artsy kid, or a nerd. This list mostly applies to the white kids in our segregated public school. Welcome to the Chicago suburbs!
- •Being an arty popular kid or a mean burnoutThe popular kids were not half bad. They were attractive, charismatic, and socially adept. Some of the burnouts/artsy kids were oddly snobbish, and they always seemed to be the leaders.
- •Being afraid of Chicago and then suddenly loving itThis was also weird for me, since my dad lived/I part-time lived in Chicago since I was 4. Large scale gentrification had begun!
- •Getting good grades if it seemed like you weren't tryingNothing is worse than an uptight tryhard! Just ask me cause I totally was one.
- •Taking adderall or getting extra time on tests for the competitive advantageOf course some people need these things, but come on, not everyone does.
- •juicy velour tracksuits, razr phones, ironic shirts, and trucker hats
- •Getting extremely drunk at house parties in neighboring Deerfield
- •Pretending like everyone else is rich and snobby but you're really groundedThis one was weird for me as I, the daughter of divorced parents who were actually middle-income for most of my childhood, caught on that everyone thinks they're middle class.
- •Cocaine, adderall, and weedPeople bought and took these things at school! not me obvi because I was very innocent in my youth 😇
- •Gossiping about who had done hard drugs and who was a slut
- •Radiohead and Kanye West