WHY YOU NEED A LIBRARY CARD 📖
If you learn one thing from me, learn to use your local public library. 👓
- 1.It's not just books.Do you like DVDs? Literary magazines? Newspapers? The library has them. Do you want to check out a toy for your kid? The Oakland Public Library has these. If you're doing home repairs, the Berkeley Public Library has a tool-lending branch. You can borrow lots of good stuff!
- 2.You can get free passes to local museums.Do you want to go to the Shedd in Chicago or the Museum of Cartoon Art in California? Your library's got you. These museum visits can cost ~$12 a pop, easily, but you get them FOR FREE with a FREE library card. What are you waiting for?
- 3.You can register to vote.Librarians = the worst enemy of the racist institution known as disenfranchisement.
- 4.Libraries are often some of the most beautiful buildings in their respective cities.I'm sure I don't have to mention that to anyone who's seen the Newberry Library in Chicago or the main branch of the public library in Seattle.
- 5.You can access cool archives and databases.Berkeley has an online archive of old issues of Vogue that I can't access for some sad reason, but don't let that discourage you. They also have an online archive of historic Californian flyers and other ephemera.
- 6.You can read to a 🐶.The Oakland Public Library has a program where kids can come in and read aloud to dogs so they can improve their reading skills in a non-judgmental environment. Your tax dollars are finding this adorableness. Nothing is more tender. God bless America. 🇺🇸
- 7.You can learn computer skills, spruce up your resume, meet authors, or study English for free.Your library (probably) offers classes and events for the community.
- 8.If you're homeless, you can figure out where to get a hot meal or a shower.The public library in People's Republic of Berkeley has an info sheet on all of this.
- 9.It's 2015; the library can come to you.Too lazy to get up off your ass? Join the club! You can download audiobooks and ebooks to your phone without leaving your cozy house. Just ask George Saunders here.