@ARONSOLOMON PIZZA DOUGH RECIPE
There's nothing like fresh pizza dough. This dough is relatively quick to make, is fairly foolproof (as much as dough can be) and freezes beautifully. This recipe makes two pizza doughs.
- •In a large bowl, mix two tablespoons of instant yeast with two tablespoons of white sugar and two cups of lukewarm water.Really you want lukewarm. I used to think the hotter the better, but you get your best dough with a water that's only slightly warm. Yes, tap water is fine.
- •Let this mixture sit for, ideally, a half hour.15 minutes is fine. 30 is better.
- •Add a teaspoon and a half of kosher salt and four cups of 00 flour.You can use plain old all-purpose but it's a totally different dough. You can find 00 pretty easily in a large city. Here in Toronto, the bulk shop in the basement of the St. Lawrence Market has my favorite 00 flour.
- •Roll up your sleeves. Mix this up with your hands for, like, 3 minutes.Honestly, you don't need a machine, no matter what the recipes tell you. Your hands are the best mixing tool you could ever have. Really work the dough pretty thoroughly.
- •Cover the dough with a damp towel for at least two hours.Ideally somewhere warm. In the winter, I'll let it rise in an oven that I used like an hour or so before. That's it, really, no need to punch the dough down or do anything special. Divide in two and spread onto your nonstick pan, using liberal amounts of olive oil.