THE STORY OF THE STITCHES OR WHY EVERY NURSE AND DOCTOR AT THE URGENT CARE THINKS I'M AN ALCOHOLIC
I made spaghetti for dinner and enjoyed a glass of Cabernet. I usually wash the dishes right away, but put it off instead...
- •First, and most importantly, I am not an alcoholic
- •I was washing dishes, I had my hand and the washcloth inside of a wine glass when it shattered around my hand.
- •I had 3 gaping cuts along my knuckles and one wrapping nearly around my index finger
- •I cleaned it out, removed a piece of glass, and wrapped it in gauze.
- •Then, I loaded my kids into the car and drove myself to urgent care.My husband was in a meeting and had his phone off.
- •When I got the UC, I had already bled through my bandages
- •When the nurse asked me what happened and I told her she stared at me and said "you cut your hand on...a glass?"I explained our delicate wine glasses and said I was doing dishes when it broke. She asked me if I'd been drinking 😒
- •I told her that I hadn't. I could totally tell she didn't believe me.
- •The doc came in to examine me. Made some comment about my kids watching Mickey Mouse Clubhouse on my phone and said "so you cut your hand on a wine glass? Drinking on the job?" 😑I laugh it off and say no, but that I deserve Worker's Comp for my injuries.
- •I get 10 stitches and leave.
- •Moral of the story: be very careful while washing dishes or you'll get accused of day drinking and poor parenting before noon on a weekday.