Favorite Quotes From The Before Trilogy
I just finished watching Before Sunrise, Before Sunset & Before Midnight for the first time last week.
- •First off, I loved these movies! I love the style of Linklater with the long dialogue scenes and natural real life feel of the moments. Ethan Hawke is so fascinating to me also.
- •So, some fave lines of the brilliant writing of these three films...I made a note of these as I watched to go look up later.
- •— BEFORE SUNRISE —
- •I like to feel his eyes on me when I look away.Celine
- •I think I can really fall in love when I know everything about someone - the way he's going to part his hair, which shirt he's going to wear that day, knowing the exact story he'd tell in a given situation. I'm sure that's when I know I'm really in love.Celine
- •I always feel this pressure of being a strong and independent icon of womanhood, and without making it look like my whole life is revolving around some guy. But loving someone, and being loved means so much to me. We always make fun of it and stuff. But isn't everything we do in life a way to be loved a little more?Celine
- •Celine: It's just...it's depressing, no? That the...the only thing we're gonna think of is when we're gonna have to say goodbye tomorrow. / Jesse: Well, we could say goodbye now. Then we wouldn't have to worry about it in the morning.
- •— BEFORE SUNSET —
- •I feel like if someone were to touch me, I'd dissolve into molecules.Jesse
- •There are so many things I want to do, but I end up doing not much.Celine (relatable!)
- •Desire is the fuel of life... Not wanting anything, isn't that a symptom of depression? ... But I feel really alive when I want something more than just basic survival needs. I mean, wanting whether it's...intimacy with another person or a new pair of shoes, is kind of beautiful...Snippet from a convo about desire
- •I will miss of the person the most mundane things. Like I'm obsessed with little things... You can never replace anyone, because everyone is made of such beautiful specific details. Like I remember the way your beard has a little bit of red in it. & how the sun was making it glow that morning, right before you left. I remember that & I missed it.Celine
- •— BEFORE MIDNIGHT —
- •(This first one is long but I wanted to include the whole thing. It's from the dinner scene where Natalia remembers her husband who has passed.)
- •Part 1: What I miss the most about him is the way he used to lie down next to me at night. Sometimes his arm would stretch along my chest, and I couldn’t move, I even held my breath, but I felt…safe. Complete. & I missed the way he was whistling walking down the street, and every time I do something I think of what he would say, oh its cold today,wear a scarf. Lately, I’ve been forgetting little things. He’s sort of of fading, and I'm starting to forget him. And its like…losing him again. So sometimes I make myself remember every detail of his face, the exact color of his eyes, his lips, his teeth, the texture of his skin, his hair that was all gone by the time he left.
- •Part 2: And sometimes, not always, but sometimes, I can actually see him. It’s as if a cloud moves away and there he is, I can almost touch him…but then he vanishes again. For a while I did this every morning, when the sun was not to bright out – the sun somehow makes him vanish – he appears and then he disappears …like a sunrise or a sunset or anything so ephemeral, just like our life. We appear, and we disappear. And we are so important to some but we are just passing through.
- •I fucked up my whole life because of the way you sing.Jesse
- •Well, it must have been one hell of a night we're about to have.Celine