What Memorial Day means to me
A US Army Veteran (inspired by @marymurphy )
- •Chaplain (CPT) Dale Goetz, R.I.P. Chaplain Goetz was my friend and mentor.Chaplain (CPT) Dale Goetz, R.I.P. Chaplain Goetz was my friend and mentor. He was killed by a road side bomb August 30th 2010 and became the first chaplain killed in combat since the Vietnam war.
- •I got the news from an emailI got the news from an email sent out to all chaplains and assistants the morning after while sitting at my desk in my office. It crushed me, literally. I fell off my chair and on to the floor and cried for what seemed like forever. My boss was in the other room, at his desk and had been trying to ask me something and when I didn't answer he came in to see what was wrong. He didn't know chaplain Goetz but he knew my pain. So we went over to the couch and talked and cried together.
- •My boss was a ChaplainMy boss was a chaplain and had lost soldiers as well. I had lost my grandmother earlier that year as well as friends from my past units and loosing such a great mentor really put me over the edge. It was hard to come back from so many losses but I had a great support system.
- •So many more loses before and sinceSince getting out of the Army I've learned of a few more losses through Facebook and friends. It never gets easier losing a brother/sister in arms.
- •R.I.P. My brothers and sisters. Merry meet, Merry part, and Merry meet again. 😥🌻