SORRY NOT SORRY
I apologized too much this week! But why? Personality flaw? Gender socialization? Midwest 'niceness'? This list is my confession of apologies...and my vow to stop apologizing for existing in the world.
- •For entering a local shop on a windy day, which caused the back door to fly openI did nothing wrong. I do not control the wind. I am allowed to walk into shops.
- •For playing French accordion music when my friend was over for dinnerI did nothing wrong. I love this music. It's like sitting at a European cafe on a sunny, breezy day. I am allowed to softly play tunes when I cook dinner for nice and chill people.
- •For not donating my bag refund at Whole FoodsI did nothing wrong. At least 50% of my basket was local food/products, and I bought a bar of Pacha soap. I am allowed to keep ten cents and not feel such immense guilt.
- •For leaving my apartment at the same time as my neighborI did nothing wrong. I am allowed to leave my apartment. We walked down the narrow stairwell together and no one died.
- •For telling the office assistant the toner ran out in the printer.I did nothing wrong. The printer was out of toner when I arrived at the print room. I am allowed to mention facts about machinery that are required so I can do my job.
- •For recommending a podcast my boyfriend didn't care forI did nothing wrong. The podcast episodes are 2 minutes long; this was a low-stakes time commitment. I am allowed to share ideas, knowledge, and pleasure, always.
- •For my dog farting around everyoneI *really did nothing* wrong. My dog is occasionally gassy when she's worried. (She's a rescue with separation anxiety.) I am allowed to own a noxious dog, and she is allowed to have bodily functions.