Crappy Discarded Titles for My Still Nameless Next Book
I usually have an easy time nailing a title: mostly, I use song titles. But nothing has been right for this next one, about a group of estranged college friends who reluctantly reunite 20 yrs later at their old school. I need a title by Monday. Help. Why do these all suck so bad?
- •This Must Be the PlaceThe original title back when the book was supposed to center around an old house. The book is no longer about an old house.
- •Live Like We're YoungSounds too much like a One Direction song or a Jack Nicholson-Morgan Freeman hijinks adventure.
- •A Matter of TimeEh. It's a Killers song, which makes me like it but it's really not evocative in any way.
- •When We Were YoungEh...or...maybe?
- •Back ThenKind of bland like oatmeal. I liked it for a while because it reminds me of One Day.
- •Who We Used To BeThe current working title. Culled from a Joan Didion quote. But none of us think it is quite right.
- •We Used To Be FriendsThe Dandy Warhols song. Thought it worked well until I realized that it didn't.
- •I give up.That's not the name of the book, rather my current state of mind. I would normally never open this up publicly but I am at a loss. If you, collective geniuses of the List, have a suggestion based on your sheer creativity, I am open! I promise to thank you in the acknowledgments and here on The List app too! (I know. That's not worth a whole hell of a lot but I'm desperate. Did I mention the manuscript is going out on Monday?)